I'm a big reader. Especially since I am still job hunting and the wedding planning is done. I am powering through books and loving it. Normally I'm a library gal. I just read too much to buy every book I want because at $13-$20 a pop that gets expensive. So when I ran out of books in my possession I was all geared up to get my new Salt Lake County library card. I had no idea the system had gotten so iron clad!
Not wanting to drive there in vain I looked online to make sure I brought whatever was necessary to open up a new library card. In NY I remembered having to prove residency and wanted to be prepared. Online I read that if my license wasn't a Utah State licence I would have to bring some other form of proof I lived here. Like a vehicle registration or utilities bill etc...
So I get to the library and after waiting in line for 20 minutes I get to the front only to be told I was also supposed to "pre-register" online and that I could do so at the ONLY computer there and come back in line when I was done. So I walk over to said computer already annoyed and of course someone is on it. 20 minutes of waiting for this random lady to finish looking up books on controlling your anger (yes I peeked at her search but in my defense I was bored and there was nothing else to look at) and I finally got on.
Happy to finally be done and get the show on the road I get up to the front of the help desk again armed with my ID, vehicle registration AND a letter addressed to me about my wedding from one of my vendors. I did this on purpose because the car dealership let me put "Kambria Thomas" on the title and so I figured I would have something to prove I was getting married. Well the fact that my last name didn't match up caused the lady working a great deal of stress... 3 people later the library director herself comes out to tell me that 1. I really should get my licence updated since I don't live in Washington anymore and 2. I could not have a library card.
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!
OBVIOUSLY I need to update my licence. I'm not going to do so 2x in one month. Clearly I am going to wait until I can just change my name as well. After pointing out this fact I decided to get up on my sassy horse and said something along the lines of... "ok I have no idea why the library is basically the DMV. I waited in super long lines, everyone helping me was grumpy and NO one was helpful. Shouldn't you be encouraging people to read? What do you think I am going to do with a LIBRARY CARD that requires such a strict code? I really just want to check out books"
That didn't help. I was told not only could I not have a library card but I had to exit the premises.
I have now been kicked out of a library. My love for this state is growing by the day...
xoxo
6 comments:
I am not kidding when I say this, you should write a formal complaint letter. This is absurd.
That is NUTS?? Love Utah hah. I would write a letter. And send him a copy.
Oh KAM! This is so terrible and frustrating, but at the very least it's a good story and made me laugh.
The good news is, I just found out in my morning meeting that Utah is the first state to start allowing gold coins as legal tender so pretty soon you'll be able to cash in your stacks of gold at shops in SLC. :)
that is the most amazing story ever!
This story is why you are one of my FAVORITE people ever! :) Who knew the libraries were such nazis!
Haha! Who knew the library would be worse than the DMV! This story made my day!
Post a Comment