Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11/2001



I cannot believe it has been 10 years since 9/11/2001. I can still remember exactly where I was, as I'm sure everyone does. I was a sophomore in high school and I was getting ready for early morning seminary, which is a before-school program my church has for youth in high school. I was listening to the radio as I did every morning on 106.1 with Jackie and Bender. (Who I cannot believe are still the early morning hosts for the Seattle station) When they made the announcement I really didn't understand the significance. I was doing my makeup at my vanity set when they cut to a broadcast by CNN. As realization sunk in that it was an actual terrorist attack I ran into my parent's bathroom where my Mom was doing her makeup and I said "MOM a plane just crashed into the Twin Towers in New York City and they think it was an attack on our country" I'm not sure why I remember that exact sentence but my Mom started expressing concern and flipping her radio to hear the newscast.

I went to Seminary and then to school a bit stunned. I was naive and young and confused. Wars didn't happen or start in my generation. That was supposed to be something that only my Grandparents lived through. In every class we did a little work and then ended up watching the news. Kids with family in New York were pulled out early and my girl friends and I stuck together that whole day. We had plans that night to go to the Puyallup Fair and decided to still go. We had fun that night. We rode rides, took the picture on the oversized chair that they put on a button for you, played games and saw friends. I'm glad we still went. I was so confused and shocked that it took my mind off the crisis a bit and at the same time made me so thankful for my friends and for my family. I think everyone felt an overwhelming sensation of love for each other. To this day I'm proud of how the country pulled together. I will never forget the sight of so many American Flags hung high on houses and buildings.

Now I'm not so naive or confused. I almost wish I still was. There's a lot of sadness that resulted in this attack. But I truly feel that the message of love and supporting each other is the thing that rises above. And the thing I pray we all continue to take from what happened. I'm so blessed to live in this great country. I love it so much and I love my fellow man. I can never express the gratitude that I feel for our armed forces. Because I live in freedom with my beautiful family, perfect husband and fantastic friends. I am blessed.


xoxo

No comments: