Aging has never been something I have given much thought to. I have super healthy, beautiful parents who look a solid decade younger than they are. I didn't grow up with age noise. But truth be told, my 20s are almost over. And I am not sad in the least, but it is interesting to think about. Sometime between college graduation and now I became an adult. Frighting actually that I can be called that :) So off to the evidence!
I posted a Facebook status a few days ago because one of the gals at my school was too young to know who Busta Rhymes was. I had comments in the double digits within half an hour. He was quite the icon in the music world in the 90s. And people either felt even older than I did or joined in talking about his bigger hits. It's so funny how music and movies give such a feeling of nostalgia.
![]() |
| Busta & Janet's song was a personal favorite in 1998 |
I am also reading the new Rob Lowe book right now entitled "Stories I Only Tell My Friends". My friend Julie recommended it and at 90 pages in (I just started it yesterday) I am completely obsessed. He's such a hunky and hilarious actor. I pulled it out and friends at school started asking me what I was reading... and who is Rob Lowe? "The West Wing?!"--- blank stares "Tommy Boy?!" -- more blank stars. I mean how can you have not seen Tommy Boy? I thought that one was a classic. And the West Wing won awards as late as 2002. But alas, I was the minority.
![]() |
| I already recommend this book! |
I don't think I have experienced talking about something and having my peers not know what I was referring to. So this is a new thing for me. I guess the new generation is rising and old enough to be out of high school and college. It's just too funny.
My Dad loves the Bee Gees. When I was younger I couldn't' understand how he didn't get sick of their super high voices. But he assured me that their beats were hot. I'm sure my future kids will think the same thing about my music. Although I don't think I would let them listen to Busta Rhymes. :) And the fact that cell phones weren't popular and physically small until I was in high school. I didn't get my own cell until I was in college. The internet hit it's boom when I was alive. And then there is the one I KNOW will come up "You were born in a different CENTURY Mom."
But honestly I can't wait. Life is so happy. And aging is a privilege. And regardless of age I STILL think people can do anything they put their mind to.
Xoxo


3 comments:
So fun to find your blog!! I love that you said aging is a privilege. Wise words!!
I love this post. I was just talking to my brother yesterday about how weird it is that Dick Clark died, and how if we tried to explain who he was to a younger generation who won't know him, we'll be sounding like our parents. You know? They'll think they get it (the kids) but they really won't GET it. As we were discussing this I was feeling very old.
Additionally, my brother and I were laughing about the fact that when he ran a marathon about ten years ago he ran with......get this....a discman!!! AUGH! HILARIOUS. Can you imagine??? He had five CDs he changed out while he was running. We were trying to imagine explaining that to kids who won't even know what CDs are. It seriously sounds so ghetto running with a discman, hahaha.
So crazy that people don't know Rob Lowe! He's such a hunk. And I've been wondering about his book, good to know it's so great!
Lastly, I'm with you completely. I don't believe in being embarrassed or ashamed of one's age. It is definitely a privilege!
Love you Kam!!!!!
Love this!!! The 90s were so revolutionary when it came to the "digital age"... the internet and cell phones. Whoa... my kids are totally going to make fun of me when I'm older. I still play CASSETTE TAPES in my stereo! :)
Post a Comment