I just finished reading "A Place of Yes" by Bethenny Frankel. Anyone who knows me can tell you I love my strong, hilarious women. I read it more because I am highly entertained by Bethenny's quick wit on her reality show and ended up being surprisingly uplifted. The biggest thing I am taking from this book? GIVE YOURSELF A BREAK!
Women can be so self-deprecating. We are hardest on ourselves and decide it's easier to believe the bad things we are told about ourselves. I say enough! Although I want to point out: I am advocating a healthy self-image and NOT cockiness. I found Bethenny's honesty about her struggles in life and humor she uses to cope refreshing. I think sometimes it's hardest for us to admit when we struggle. And talking, dealing and working through things with others is not shameful but healthy. I think sometimes we fear appearing different or weak. But I hope we will all try to lift each other up because it is ok if we struggle or make mistakes. We are human after all. Luckily I have fantastic girl friends and a loving family. I hope I am half as good at doing this for them as they are at doing this for me.
I always want to go for what I want being 100% invested. Believing in myself and doing something I love. Sometimes we waste life waiting for the perfect time to act. When there usually is never a "perfect time" for anything. And if an adventure doesn't work out how I planned. It is ok. As long as you always give 100% you can never really have regrets. I love this quote Bethenny used in her book regarding this..
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it."
- W.C. Fields, actor
I think begin smart about your life direction means begin able to recognize when a chosen path isn't working for you and then redirecting your path so that it does work. And there is no shame in that. And we have to give ourselves a break when it happens.
To help me drive this point home here are some of my favorite quotes from the book:
"...nothing is ever wasted on the fearlessly curious."
"Don't let decisions fester. Learn your own risk tolerance so you can feel good about your decisions. And if you screw up anyway? Suck it up, admit it, learn from it, and move on with your life."
"...but your real friends will love you for who you are, not your ability to mimic them. Being brave enough to be yourself, whether you blend in or not, is the best way to separate the people who matter from the people who won't be important in your life."
And now I shall get off my soap box :)
Xoxo

1 comment:
I love Bethany too! Love. Yet another book on the short list I need to read.
Post a Comment