Thursday, February 28, 2013

Kids Say the Darn-dest Things

I have always loved children. I am one of those women who knew she wanted to be a Mother one day. I don't think every woman has to want to be a mother, nor do I think every woman should have kids. But I love the children in my life and savor spending time with them.

I am the proud Aunt/Tia to 14 nieces and nephews. Because Preston is by far the youngest in his family, most of these 14 beautiful people are between the ages of 13 and 18, and even though they don't commonly use "Aunt" or "Uncle" anymore they will call me "Auntie" sometimes because they know I adore it. I make them take a lot of photos because they are just the cutest ever and we spend a lot of time with family. Which has lead to comments like this one from my 10 year old nephew...

"Again! Man it's like I'm famous with paparazzi!"

I also have several best friends who's babies I consider to be my nieces and nephews because they are my sisters and I don't think family is always determined by blood. I was FaceTiming with one of these nephews for his birthday when he ran away from the phone. I heard his little brother start crying and then he ran back to the phone holding a toy...

Me: "Did you take a toy from your brother? That's not very nice sweetie."
Adorable 3 year old: "Yeah but he's a BABY... and he won't remember."

I also currently teach 12 active and vocal eight year olds in Sunday School at our church. 10 boys and two of the sweetest little girls I've ever met. Every week before we get down to spiritual matters I have them tell me one cool or fun thing they did that week. It helps me know what hey like to play and they get really excited to share their cool thing with the class. Which has lead to gems like this from some of the boys...

"Well my cool thing is going to be today. I get two hours of DDS! You see it's my job to do the dishes. But I know that if I wait and wait and don't do them, that my parent's will bribe me! And so I let them get real high and my parents cracked and gave me two hours of DDS to do them. I'm stoked"

"My mom said I had to play with my sister but she didn't say what we had to play. So I had her play World of Warcraft with me and she got scared and cried. I didn't have to play with her after that."

{I should note here that my dislike for video games has grown since teaching this group and my kids will now be lucky to have a console in the house at all.}

And then there are my cousin's kids who I am just crazy over. I have a LOT of first cousins. My Dad comes from a family of 11 and my Mom from a family of 6. There are so many gorgeous babes on both sides it's hard to keep track. But I was watching one of my cousin's kids while she was out of town with her hubby and I was letting them play in the basement while I made lunch when this happened with her two girls...

Child 1: "KAMBRIA, I'm getting picked on" (tears are blubbering up to the surface)
Child 2: "Ugh I don't know WHY you don't just IGNORE me like Mom said to!"
-I burst into laughter-
-This causes child 1 to burst into tears-
Me: "I agree just ignore her" (More hidden laughter)

And later from their youngest boy...

"I just NEED chickey nuggets other wise I will get real tired, and then I will die..." (Said with the straightest most sincere face I've ever seen)

SO...there are lots of children in my life. And they never cease to make me laugh.


Xoxo

No comments: