**Will upload photos to this post when I can plug my camera in :) **
Brazil has been so fun these past few days! But so different from what I expected at the same time. On Saturday Preston took me to the Mercado, or market. It was amazing! Different stands of fruit, spices, meat, sweets and sandwich shops. You name it, it was hanging from a wall somewhere. The fruits were the most beautiful items I had ever seen. Fruit that you would never see in a United States grocery store was out as if it was no big deal. The most gorgeous star fruits, cashew fruits and leche fruits gave a colorful splash that was so pleasing to see and to taste! Preston told one of the fruit stands that I was "American" and had never been to Brazil before. They got very excited and proceeded to cut samples of various fruits for me to try. I wish I could remember half of the names! We bought a few and left laughing and amazed.
The dried fruit was no different. It is so fresh and sweet with nothing added, no preservatives, and no packaging and sealing to ship anywhere. It's fresh, pure dried fruit. I kept thinking how much my Mother would love this place.
The nut stands were very similar. So many kinds just out in buckets! The sampling that occurs sneakily at our grocery stores was expected as you tried to decide which kinds to buy.
We left with a few full bags and very full tummies.
Dinner that night was so much fun. Preston took me to "Terraco Italia," meaning Italian Rooftop. We had drinks in the piano bar while we waited for our corner window table overlooking all of Sao Paulo. It was so romantic and suave. It was something out of a movie. In every room different live music played. Saxophones in one, a base in another, and a piano in the main dining room. The views were spectacular and the food was divine. The staff treated everyone like they were royalty. I adored every aspect of the experience.
Sunday we went to Ibirapueria, which is like this city's Central Park. It was so pretty. It's so cool for my untraveled eye to get to see so many exotic trees lining the walkways. I found it funny to see that in the many soccer games going on between friends, everyone wore Brazil jerseys. And then in the few basketball games being played throughout the park, everyone was in LeBron James attire! Some in Team USA and other's in Heat gear. But always, always James was the name worn. And the thing I loved the most was that in every game of pick up there were at least 2 girls. And they were scrappy! I am not a ball player myself but it still made me happy to see so many playing. It's rare to see so many co-ed games in the states. And instead of the beverage stands boasting sodas, coconut juice freshly drained from the fruit was plentiful. I'm talking hole drilled in, tipped upside down, drained into your cup. Amazing! Big piles of drained coconuts lay next to each vendor in a beautiful green mass.
Finishing the night out with dinner in Little Japan, we ate at a Lamen house with some of Preston's friends from his program, and some of their friends. Again, kindest people I have ever met. This place is so nice. I love Asian food and this was the most authentic experience I have had. The soup was so good I gobbled it all up and still had room for Goyza. Everyone got half way done and began to say how full they were. Then they looked over and saw my empty bowl and laughed. What can I say? I have always loved to eat. Our table had people from France, Columbia, Brazil and the states. Everyone at the table spoke at least 3 languages, with a few boasting 4. And languages were rotated so fast it took energy to keep up. I'm happy to say that I think I've actually done very well with understanding everyone. Preston keeps telling me how proud he is of this but I think he may just be being too sweet to me, like always. He knows I wish so badly that I had a knack for language learning.
Basically I am constantly full and happy!
Xoxo
No comments:
Post a Comment