But in the spirit of being healthier and exercising in fun ways, we decided to take a quick trip to southern Utah. Zion National Park is only a four hour drive from us and I have always wanted to see it in person. On our way down we took a detour to Bryce Canyon and did an easy one mile hike around the canyon's edge. It was the most beautiful natural sight I have ever seen. (The most beautiful unnatural sight being the shoe department at Bloomingdales)
I was convinced I had already seen the prettiest part of our trip. I may have gotten watery eyes when we first pulled up. Places like this strengthen my faith in my Heavenly Father as the world's creator. I was awe struck. Photos could never do it justice.
That was until the next day when we hiked to Angel's Landing in Zion. We stayed in a lovely hotel in the cutest town I have ever seen. So we were well rested and ready to go the next morning! The difference in elevation from the beginning and the ending of the hike is 1500 feet. So you hike up quite a ways. I was apprehensive about this hike. The first two miles consists of several sets of switch backs that are steep, but the path is wide. This is the "easy part." I enjoyed the name of one set entitled "Walter's Wiggles" shown here...
This takes you to "Scout's Lookout" which is gorgeous in itself...
I felt pretty proud while we were doing it. This was the only place with enough room for Preston to snap a photo. It was the safest spot along the path...
Not only was it exhilarating but the view was A-MAH-ZING at the top! Although Preston got way too close to the edge for my comfort level. The road was so small from that high up! I couldn't believe we had started way down there.
This hike is not a loop so you have to come back down the same way you came up. Going down was much harder on the chains. But the switch backs were MUCH easier so it evened out. All the reviews we read and people we talked to said it would take four hours round trip. But it only took us three even stopping at the top to take lots of photos and eat. We felt very accomplished. About 3/4 of the way down we stopped again to admire the view. I just died over how gorgeous the view was at every point. I also loved doing this with Preston. He spoiled us and got us the nicest hotel room with such a beautiful view. I was obsessed with our porch. He was such an encourager and so supportive. It was a memory I will never forget.
Xoxo
4 comments:
Love this hike. It really does feel amazing to get to the top! I wish I were in southern Utah right now- my favorite place in the world!
Side note: I'm guessing you meant 1500 feet, not 1500 miles. :)
Haha yes Brooke I DID mean feet. That would be impressive if it were miles. All changed xo
Wow, I have heard of people doing these hikes but I always felt indifferent. You have convinced me! So so gorgeous. I have never been crazy about hiking either so I love to hear from a "non hiker" how awesome it was.
I am the same as you, in regards to seeing the world's natural beauty and it being a testimony strengthener. Just last weekend I saw the sunrise with a friend and it was SO beautiful. I always just think, "How does someone see something like this and not believe in God??" I am just so overwhelmed by His love for us.
xoxo
YAY! I'm glad you decided to do it!!! You can be proud!! Zions and Bryce is so amazing. I LOVE our pictures and memories of when we did "Summer of Utah" before we moved to Spokane, and before we had kids. Its so fun and sweet to do things like that together. I feel the same way about it all as you do; about it strengthening my testimony in God's creations. Love the pics!
PS: You've never been to a National Park?? Not even Mt. Rainier or Mt. St. Helens!?! For shame!!! Next trip up to WA I may have to make you go with me! ;)
Post a Comment